See more of Clint's Photographs

12 November, 2010

Individuals in Montana, not the way you expect it. . .

For the last several weeks as we have driven down the Grove Creek Road toward Fishtail, I have noticed a calf in the same pasture as the neighbors sheep. Each time I passed, my curiosity caused me to look for the mother cow, which I never saw. Yesterday, I asked the nieghbors if they knew there was a calf in with the sheep, and if they did, where was it's mother. What I was told, is not what I expected. This was a "bum" calf, it had no mother. In addition to bottle feeding the calf, they decided to put it in with the sheep. They were hoping it would bond with the sheep and ultimately be the protector of the sheep, very similar to the role of a llama. The picture shows the competitors, the llama and the calf.
Come spring we will have to return to the pasture and check out the role of the calf as well as it's relationship with the llama. Sort of strange seeing a calf with no other cattle in a pasture with several hundred head of sheep and a llama.
As I have been working around the barn for the last several weeks, I have noticed a little bunny. Yes, it is quite small and very young. As I watched and observed it's actions, I believe it has found a home under the hay that we are storing for the horses. Recently, it has started to pose for me, I couldn't wait any longer, ran to the house and got my camera and zoom lens, not knowing how close it would allow me to get. This is hunting season, but this critter is too small for the hunter, but it is staying close to the barn to hide from something. and what would you expect to see in another one of the pastures as you drive toward Absarokee. You are probably guessing, sheep or cattle, wildlife could be deer, or perhaps some horses. Wrong. There is a pasture that has been full of sheep, every year for the last 19 years. There are no sheep in it today. This is one of 3 small burrows that is in control of the acreage. No signs of sheep. This guy and his buddies are about the size of the calf and definitely smaller than the llama.
As we all know, Thanksgiving is just 2 weeks away. I'm sure that you are already thinking about where you'll be enjoying the feast and what you'll be eating. Just as we are about to prepare for the big occassion, guess what reappears on the Circle B Bar T ranch? Answer, the turkeys. The flock is not as large in numbers as last year. I counted 15 in total, but they look very healthy. For those of you who like dark meat, no white meat, not even the breast, you should come to Stillwater County and take one of these beauties home for Thanksgiving. If you prefer white meat, ie: the breast, then continue your plan to purchase or grow locally.





No comments:

Post a Comment